Monday, October 19, 2009

Relatives....or Family??


My family moved to AZ when I was 3. While I am proud to be a semi-native Arizonan, there are a several things I missed out on simply because of my birth order. Trips to the World's Fair and Niagara Falls, having to sing "Back Home Again" every time we crossed the IN state line and Sunday brunches at Grandma & Grandpa's w/the aunts, uncles & cousins. I grew up knowing I had relatives, they were always in my prayers before bedtime but any one of them could have passed me on the street and I wouldn't know them. This has always bummed me out and I felt like I missed out on that part of my life. When my dad passed away 7 1/2 years ago, we had his service in Indiana and Jake and I had the pleasure of getting to "meet" my "Mybeck relatives". Since then we have kept in touch with my cousin, Mark, via his band's email list. They perform in and around the Chicago/Hammond area at various venues. Jake and I have talked about going to Chicago to see them play since we moved to the midwest 6 years ago, and we finally did it!! Mark performed his first solo/acoustic set in 15 years-and did a great job, I might add!! It was so good to finally see him play!! He was #4/5 in the lineup for the evening, he was my favorite, if I may say so myself. :) The venue was a beautiful little theatre in downtown Hammond. As I was sitting there with Jake and my cousin, Marcia, it felt surreal, I felt like a grown up. :) We had a wonderful day on Saturday. Started out with breakfast at Cracker Barrel (our favorite) with Mark & his wife, Karen, Marcia and their folks Uncle Bob (aka Uncle Grumpy) and Aunt Mary Lou. After breakfast Jake went back to the hotel and I went to a local craft fair with Bob, Mary Lou and Marcia. Later that afternoon, Jake and I headed over to Bob & Mary Lou's house to spend the evening with them. Dinner at a local diner, great conversation and another concert, by Uncle Grumpy this time, were on the agenda. While it was a short visit, it was sweet...and long overdue!! We have rekindled a relationship with not just relatives, but family and I am so grateful!! Uncle Bob is my dad's fraternal twin; a part of me felt like I spent the evening with Dad. I could have stayed up all night visiting with them. (They probably would have kicked me out at some point) Our hearts were overflowing with the joy of family on our drive home. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

No comments: